California

Five Killed After Teenage Shooters Attack San Diego Islamic Centre

By Sabiu Abdullahi

Five people lost their lives on Monday after two teenage shooters opened fire at the Islamic Centre of San Diego in California, United States, authorities said.

The incident, which investigators believe may have been motivated by hate, claimed the lives of three victims and the two teenage suspects.

Police identified the attackers as youths aged 17 and 18. Authorities said they arrived at the mosque complex around 11:40 am local time. A security guard and two other men outside the worship centre were shot dead during the attack.

Officials later discovered the two suspects dead inside a vehicle. Investigators believe they died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

The Islamic Centre of San Diego is considered the largest mosque in San Diego County.

San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl disclosed that the Federal Bureau of Investigation and local security agencies had launched a hate crime investigation into the shooting.

According to police, the mother of one of the suspects contacted authorities about two hours before the attack. She reportedly informed officers that her son, whom she described as suicidal, had left home with three firearms and her vehicle.

Authorities said the teenager was with another youth, and both suspects wore camouflage clothing.

Wahl explained that officers had already started searching for the pair near a shopping mall and the suspect’s high school before emergency reports emerged from the mosque.

Investigators also recovered a note from the teenager’s residence, although police declined to disclose its contents.

“We have never experienced a tragedy like this before,” the mosque’s imam and director, Taha Hassane, told reporters.

“It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship,” he added.

Authorities stated that dozens of officers responded to the active shooter alert within minutes. Television footage showed armed tactical teams surrounding the mosque complex as helicopters monitored the area from above.

Police confirmed that officers did not discharge their weapons during the operation.

Investigators linked the mosque attack to another nearby shooting in which a landscaper survived after a bullet reportedly struck his safety helmet.

Children at the Bright Horizon Academy, an Islamic school located within the mosque complex, were evacuated safely. Authorities confirmed that no students were harmed.

The shooting happened only days before Muslims around the world prepare to observe Eid al-Adha and embark on the annual Hajj pilgrimage to Mecca.

Dual Disasters: LA wildfires and Gaza war

By Sulaiman Abdullahi

Los Angeles is currently experiencing severe wildfires that have burned over 26,000 acres. This has led to a state of emergency and mandatory evacuations for approximately 150,000 residents. 

The Palisades Fire has caused significant destruction, including the loss of numerous buildings and the deaths of at least 16 people. High winds and limited firefighting resources have complicated efforts.

In contrast, Gaza is enduring a humanitarian crisis due to prolonged conflict, resulting in over 46,000 Palestinian deaths and extensive damage to infrastructure, including water and sanitation facilities, due to Israel’smassive attacks on the enclave. The United Nations estimates that recovery and rebuilding will take years and require billions in funding.

While both regions are experiencing severe destruction, the causes differ: Los Angeles is facing a natural disaster, while Gaza’s devastation stems from military conflict. The recovery for both areas will demand substantial resources, time, and international assistance.

Several social media users share pictures of the two devastations. Many also make comparisons. Some view the LA fire as punishment for U.S. support of Israel, while others see it as a natural disaster that can affect anyone, anywhere.