News

Kebbi governor appoints Sanusi Mika’ilu Sami as new Emir of Zuru

By Abdullahi Mukhtar Algasgaini

The Kebbi State Government has officially appointed Alhaji Sanusi Mika’ilu Sami as the new Emir of Zuru.

The appointment was confirmed on Thursday in Zuru when the State Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs, Hon. Garba Umar Dutsin-Mari, presented the letter of appointment to the new monarch.

Dutsin-Mari stated that the appointment, approved by Governor Comrade Dr. Nasir Idris, followed the recommendation of the Zuru Emirate’s election committee. The committee screened three candidates for the revered throne, with Alhaji Sanusi Mika’ilu Sami emerging victorious by securing the highest number of votes.

The stool became vacant following the passing of the former Emir, His Royal Highness Alhaji Muhammad Sani Sami Gomo II, who died on August 16, 2025, in a hospital in London.

The commissioner congratulated the new Emir and urged him to justify the confidence reposed in him by the government and the people of the emirate. He advised the monarch to discharge his duties diligently and with the fear of God.

Alhaji Sanusi Mika’ilu Sami now assumes the leadership of the Zuru Emirate, succeeding his late predecessor.

BBC suspends Hausa Service editor Aliyu Tanko, rejects his resignation amid probe

By Muhammad Abubakar

The BBC has suspended Aliyu Tanko, the editor of its Hausa Service, due to bullying allegations, and has refused his resignation attempt.

Tanko, who took charge of the service in 2020, was handed a three-month suspension after former staffer Halima Umar Saleh accused him of mistreatment. The BBC has now launched a full investigation, with a team flown in from London to Abuja.

Sources say Tanko tried to resign a day after his suspension, but the corporation refused, insisting he must follow due process — either serve a two-month notice period or pay in lieu.

In an interview with Daily Nigerian, Tanko confirmed that he had resigned but declined to comment on the allegations. Attempts to reach him directly were unsuccessful.

Halima Umar, now a Senior Digital Editor at TRT Africa, had earlier spoken out in an interview with Arewa24, alleging Tanko maltreated her during her BBC days. The clip was later pulled down, sparking debate on social media.

BBC Hausa, with more than 40 staff across Nigeria and beyond, is the corporation’s biggest African language service. It reaches over 23 million weekly radio listeners and drives 10 million website visits. 

Under Tanko’s leadership, the service rolled out hit shows like Daga Bakin Mai ItaKu San Malamanku, and Mahangar Zamani.

Immigration raises passport fees

By Hadiza Abdulkadir

The Federal Government has approved an upward review of passport fees for Nigerians, effective September 1, 2025.

This was announced in a statement issued on Thursday by A.S Akinlabi, the spokesman for the Nigeria Immigration Service.

He said the increment aims to ensure the quality and integrity of the Nigerian Standard Passport, set to take effect from September.

“The review which only affect Passport Application fees made in Nigeria, now set a new fee thresholds for 32-page with 5-year validity at ₦100,000 and 64-page with 10-year validity at ₦200,000.

“Meanwhile, Nigerian Passport Application fees made by Nigerians in diaspora remain unchanged at $150 for 32-page with 5-year validity and $230 for 64-page with 10-year validity”, he said

The Service reaffirms its commitment to balancing high-quality service delivery with the necessity of ensuring Passport services are accessible to all Nigerians.

Mother, three children die in Zaria building collapse

By Abdullahi Mukhtar Algasgaini

A tragic building collapse, triggered by heavy rainfall, claimed the lives of a mother and three of her young children in the early hours of Wednesday in the Karauka area of Zaria.

The victims have been identified as Mallama Habiba Nuhu, her two daughters, Hauwa’u Nuhu and Aina’u Nuhu, and her granddaughter, Za’uma.

According to a relative, Mallam Ahmed Ibrahim, the disaster occurred between 3:30 a.m. and 4 a.m. when a mud wall from a neighbouring house gave way and collapsed onto the family’s room.

“The victims died on the spot because they were covered by rubble,” Ibrahim stated.

The husband and father, Mallam Nuhu Dogara, was the sole survivor. He was recovered alive from the debris and rushed to a hospital for medical attention.

He was later discharged just in time to attend the funeral prayers for his family.

Local authorities attribute the collapse to the ceaseless rainfall that has been battering the Zaria area, which weakened the structure of the adjacent building.

Tinubu concludes Brazil state visit, signs key agreements

By Abdullahi Mukhtar Algasgaini

President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has departed Brasília for Abuja after a state visit to Brazil aimed at deepening bilateral ties between the two nations.

The presidential jet departed the Brasília International Airport Air Force Base at 12:57 pm local time on Wednesday.

The brief departure ceremony was attended by senior Brazilian diplomats, including Secretary for Africa and the Middle East Amb.

Carlos Sérgio Sobral Duarte, and featured a guard of honour.

The visit, which began on Monday, August 25, was marked by a formal welcome ceremony at the Palácio do Planalto, where President Tinubu was received with full military honours by his Brazilian counterpart, President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

The core of the diplomatic engagement was a meeting between the two leaders, who oversaw the signing of five Memoranda of Understanding.

The agreements cover critical sectors for Nigeria’s development, including aviation, foreign affairs, science and technology, and agriculture.

The Nigerian delegation included the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Bianca Odumegwu-Ojukwu, who was present at the airport for the President’s departure.

Hisbah enforces restrictions on DJs, women in Bauchi Social Gatherings

By Anas Abbas

The Bauchi State Hisbah Command has introduced a set of new regulations governing weddings, birthdays, and other social gatherings across the state.

In a statement signed by the Permanent Commissioner of Hisbah, Barrister Aminu Balarabe Isah, the Sharia enforcement agency said the guidelines were prompted by rising public complaints over social vices and breaches of peace at events.

Titled “Guidelines Governing the Conduct of Marriage Ceremonies and Other Festivals in Bauchi State,” the document outlines several restrictions.

These include prohibition of male and female mingling, as well as opposite-sex, dancing in the presence of children, ban on the sale or consumption of alcohol and other intoxicants disallowing entry of individuals carrying weapons into event venues, gender-based seating arrangements and suspension of activities during prayer times, compulsory adherence to traditional dress codes.

The circular further prohibits DJs and musical entertainment at events, as well as cultural festivals such as Sharo, Shadi, Garaya, Kauyawa Day, Gala, and Aloba.

It also forbids the use of abusive or blasphemous language, gambling, prostitution, pornography, and birthday parties considered “immoral.”

Hisbah directed that all recreational centers, clubs, and cultural organizations comply with the order or face sanctions.

Kaduna central constituents move to recall senator over alleged non-performance

By Abdullahi Mukhtar Algasgaini

A group known as the Concerned Kaduna Central Constituents has initiated a process to recall their Senator, Lawal Adamu Usman, citing poor representation and neglect of duties.

In a statement to the press, the group accused the senator of failing to advocate for the constituency, being persistently absent from legislative duties, and providing no tangible projects for the people.

They claimed he has been disconnected from the realities of his constituents since taking office.

The group has begun gathering signatures from registered voters to petition the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) for his recall.INEC has not yet responded.

By law, a recall requires signatures from at least half of the registered voters in the senatorial district before a verification and referendum can be held.

Abuja-Kaduna train derails, causes passenger panic

By Abdullahi Mukhtar Algasgaini

A passenger train service from Abuja to Kaduna derailed on Tuesday morning, causing multiple carriages to overturn and creating a scene of panic and confusion among travellers.

The incident occurred along the busy transport corridor at approximately 11 a.m., shortly after the train’s departure from the nation’s capital.

Eyewitnesses aboard the train described a chaotic scramble for safety as the carriages left the tracks.

The precise cause of the derailment is currently unknown and is likely to be the subject of an official investigation.

At this time, there has been no official confirmation of injuries or fatalities.

Security sources indicate that military personnel have been deployed to the scene to aid in the evacuation of stranded passengers.

Authorities have not yet released an official statement regarding the incident.

Police arrest officers in viral cash-counting video

By Abdullahi Mukhtar Algasgaini

The Delta State Police Command has arrested a group of its officers who were filmed counting large bundles of cash inside an official patrol vehicle.

A video, which went viral on social media, showed the officers handling the money while seated in a van marked “Area Command Asaba,” sparking public outrage and allegations of extortion.

Confirming the development, the Police Public Relations Officer, Bright Edafe, stated in a post on X that the personnel were swiftly identified, tracked, and taken into custody.

The officers were summoned to appear before the Commissioner of Police.

Edafe detailed that the four involved personnel include two senior officers, who have been issued official queries, and two inspectors, who have been detained.

All are awaiting an orderly room trial, the force’s internal disciplinary proceeding.

The police command assured that necessary sanctions will be imposed following the outcome of the trial.

NAF commences recruitment for graduates, professionals

By Anwar Usman

The Nigerian Air Force has announced the commencement of applications for its Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) 34/2025.

The announcement was made via the NAF’s official X handle (formerly known as Twitter) on Tuesday, invites applications across a wide range of professions, including engineering, medical, and cyber specialities, reflecting the force’s evolving needs in modern warfare.

Interested candidates can apply for free online from August 27 to October 7, 2025, through the official NAF recruitment portal: https://nafrecruitment.airforce.mil.ng.

According to NAF, candidates must possess the following requirements to qualify:

Applicants must be Nigerian citizens by birth.

Applicants must be between the ages of 20 and 32 years; Medical Doctors (consultants) could be between the ages of 25 and 40 years at the time of application.

The exercise is not for serving personnel desiring Branch Commission. Therefore, personnel above 32 years of age are not to apply.

A serving personnel must be recommended by his/her Commanding Officer/Commander, must have served for 10 years and attained the rank of Cpl.Applicants must not be less than 1.66 m tall for males and not less than 1.63 m tall for females.

The announcement further revealed that, applicants must be free of any previous conviction(s) on criminal grounds by a court of law.

The Force added that applicants must be medically, physically and psychologically fit and must meet the Nigerian Air Force medical and employment standards.

Interested applicants must possess a minimum of Second Class Upper Division and Upper credit for HND holders and must possess a NYSC Discharge Certificate or Letter of Exemption.

The Zonal General Aptitude Test will hold on a date to be revealed on the NAF Recruitment Portal. Only successful applicants will be invited for the Selection Interview, the statement concluded.