By Sabiu Abdullahi
Kano State Governor, Abba Kabir Yusuf, has issued a strong warning to his former political ally and mentor, Rabiu Musa Kwankwaso, over what he described as repeated attacks against him.
The governor spoke on Monday in Rano during the official affirmation of Sulaiman Kawu Sumaila as the All Progressives Congress (APC) senatorial candidate for Kano South.
Yusuf said his decision to remain silent should not be seen as weakness, adding that he could respond publicly if the situation continues.
He said, “For us, Kano peace is our priority, but if we are pushed to the wall, we will open our mouths and talk. Silence is not a sign of fear.
“To even keep quiet is an act of worship, not because we are afraid, not because we are kids. How could a 69-year-old call a 63-year-old a kid? It is just a personal respect that you are slightly elder than me.
“However, if an old man does not respect himself and keeps quiet, the younger one will have what to say. So, we are pleading with them in the name of Almighty and His Messenger to keep their mouths shut. Else, you will hear a lot of revelations.”
The remarks marked one of the governor’s strongest public responses to the leader of the Kwankwasiyya movement since both politicians fell apart earlier this year.
Yusuf’s comments followed a recent interview granted by Kwankwaso to Trust TV, where the former Kano governor criticised Yusuf’s decision to leave the Kwankwasiyya movement.
Kwankwaso, who is also a chieftain of the Nigeria Democratic Coalition (NDC), reportedly stated that the movement played a major role in Yusuf’s emergence as governor after serving as his personal assistant.