By Nura Jibo
James Hadley Chase, the master thriller and fictional writing maestro of all time, described so often Mark Girland as a good-for-nothing secret agent with a distinct weakness for money and women. But Girland, unlike Hushpuppi, “finds himself in Prague for his latest adventure. Events in the Communist country prove all too much for Girland as he comes face to face with a sinister world of deception, fraud and corruption”.
That was exactly what happened to Abba Kyari and Hushpuppi! The Nigerian supercop turned American “robocop”/ Hushpuppi turned American prison “puppy”. They squarely fell in the ‘safety nets’ of an American FBI. And the result is another gripping thriller from another James Hadley Chase new fairytales.
But dear Nigerians, wait a minute!
Why should you get disturbed by this saga? It’s not something new. It’s normal within the Nigerian political, military and police spaces.
1. How could you Nigerians too often forget about IG Tafa Balogun corruption saga with Nuhu Ribadu?
2. How dare you Nigerians forget so soon the Magu Magu EFCC corruption drama with the Attorney General of the Nigerian Federation?
3. Why should you Nigerians err if at all you can take a hue in Farida Waziri, Lamorde and Co?
4. Is supercop or superheroism anything to go by in the Nigerian system? How could Nigerians so narrowly forget about the late Ali Kwara and his chivalrous pursuit of armed robbers in Nigeria? What happened afterwards?
5. Is it not the same politicians without any political hygiene that turned Kwara into a political contractor willy-nilly the way they transformed Kyari into a global celebrity on bringing to book criminals in Nigeria?
6. Why should you Nigerians continue to raise your temper on Kyari versus Hushpuppi when you already know how Diezani and Farouk Lawan ended up? What’s new? What’s so special about this case of a new Rambo on the loose?
7. Does the FBI or Nigerian police matter? If so, then catch your breath and rest your case until “THIS IS FOR REAL”!
And if it is for real, then little wonder…
“When a woman turns up in Paris with information to sell to the CIA, is it for real? It will soon become clear that it is, and the FBI, Nigerian police or the CIA aren’t the only ones to realise it. As the tale sweeps from America to Paris and Africa, combining espionage with violence and intrigue, this another drama from “James Hadley Chase” gives a new background for the Hushpuppi thriller while maintaining the highest standards of readability and watchability.
Happy reading and ranting and viewing the two Rambos on the loose!
Nura Jibo writes from Dutse, Jigawa State. He can be reached via firstname.lastname@example.org.