By Sabiu Abdullahi
The Kaduna State Government has dismissed concerns over the safety of the Kangimi Dam in Igabi Local Government Area, saying there is no indication that the facility is at risk of collapse.
The government’s position followed concerns raised after images of structural sections of the dam circulated on social media, alongside the recent flood advisory issued by the Nigerian Meteorological Agency (NiMet) for Kaduna and nine other states.
The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Public Works and Infrastructure, Alhaji Ashiru Abdu Na Abdu, stated this in a statement issued on Thursday.
Abdu said the structural issues shown in the images were not new. According to him, they were first identified in 2015/2016 and were linked to ageing as well as pressure caused by heavy rainfall.
He said the state government responded at the time with emergency remedial work aimed at stabilising the dam and protecting communities around it.
The permanent secretary said the facility has remained under regular observation and limited maintenance since then, with “no evidence of active structural failure.”
He assured residents that the dam remains intact, operational and capable of serving its intended purpose.
The ministry said it was also taking precautionary steps to reinforce the structure and improve its monitoring capacity.
As part of the measures, the government said it is procuring modern safety equipment, including automated water-level gauges, early-warning sirens and telemetry systems.
According to the ministry, the new equipment will support continuous monitoring of the dam and provide early alerts where necessary.
The state government urged residents to disregard claims that the Kangimi Dam is close to collapsing.
It reaffirmed its commitment to protecting communities around the facility and maintaining the dam in a safe and functional condition.