By Sabiu Abdullahi
At least 50 people have been killed after armed men launched a deadly overnight attack on a community in northwestern Nigeria’s Zamfara State, according to officials and residents.
The incident occurred in Tungan Dutse village, located in the Bukkuyum area. Witnesses said the attackers arrived on motorcycles late Thursday night. The assault continued into Friday morning. During the attack, houses were set ablaze and several women and children were taken away.
A lawmaker representing Bukkuyum South, Hamisu A. Faru, confirmed the scale of the killings. “They have been moving from one village to another … leaving at least 50 people dead,” he said.
Faru also noted that the number of abducted persons remains uncertain. He explained that authorities are still working to determine how many people are missing.
Residents said there were early warning signs before the attack. One of them, Abdullahi Sani, stated that villagers had informed security operatives after seeing more than 150 motorcycles carrying armed men a day earlier. However, no preventive action was taken.
“No one slept yesterday; we are all in pain,” Sani said, adding that three members of his family lost their lives.
The latest violence highlights the ongoing insecurity affecting parts of northern and western Nigeria, where armed groups continue to carry out attacks on communities.
In a related development, reports indicate that at least 46 people were killed last week in separate attacks in the Borgu area of Niger State. The deadliest incident occurred in Konkoso village, where dozens of residents were reportedly shot or killed in brutal circumstances.
Meanwhile, Nigeria has strengthened its security partnership with the United States. This follows concerns raised by former US President Donald Trump, who accused Nigeria of failing to curb killings and threatened possible intervention.
On December 25, US forces carried out air strikes in Sokoto State in coordination with Nigerian authorities. Earlier this week, Nigeria’s military confirmed the arrival of about 100 US personnel to support local forces.
According to Defence Headquarters spokesperson Samaila Uba, the US troops will provide “technical support” and “intelligence sharing” to assist in tackling “terrorist organisations”, along with “associated equipment”.
He added that the foreign troops will not participate directly in combat operations but will operate under Nigerian command.