By Sabiu Abdullahi
Cristiano Ronaldo has suggested that the 2026/27 season could be his final campaign as a professional footballer.
The 41-year-old Portugal captain and Al-Nassr forward made the disclosure in an interview with lifestyle magazine Vogue, published on Sunday.
Ronaldo, who began his senior career with Sporting Lisbon in 2002, said he hopes to bring his football career to an end with a lasting legacy.
“This is probably my last year of football and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” he said.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner also spoke about his plans for life after football, saying he already has several activities that could keep him occupied.
“I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard. Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.
“And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because, after all, it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”
Ronaldo has won domestic league titles in England, Spain, Italy and Saudi Arabia. He also holds the record as the highest-scoring player in men’s international football.
The Portuguese star has scored 976 goals for club and country, leaving him 24 goals away from reaching the 1,000-goal landmark.
He has one year remaining on his contract with Saudi Pro League champions Al-Nassr.
Ronaldo was absent from Al-Nassr’s opening league match of their title defence against Al Fateh on Saturday. He watched the game from the stands alongside members of his family.
The development comes only days after his wedding to his long-time partner, Georgina Rodriguez.