By Sabiu Abdullahi
Gunmen suspected to be bandits have reportedly killed more than 30 people in Dutsin Dan Ajiya village, Anka Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
Residents said the attackers stormed the community on Thursday night. They arrived on motorcycles after sealing off entry and exit routes. The assailants then attacked the village and targeted residents.
Witnesses disclosed that the gunmen fired repeatedly and moved from house to house without resistance for several hours.
A resident confirmed that about 30 bodies had been recovered as of Friday morning. Several persons were still missing at the time of filing this report.
“The attack resulted in the death of at least 30 residents, both men and women. Many were wounded, and several others were abducted during the raid,” he said.
Zamfara State and other parts of the North-West region have continued to witness violent attacks linked to bandit groups. The criminals have carried out killings, kidnappings, and destruction of property over the years despite repeated security operations.
Amid the persistent insecurity, the Zamfara State Government allocated N1 billion in its 2026 approved budget for the construction of cemeteries across the 14 local government areas. The provision falls under the Ministry of Religious Affairs.
Earlier this month, bandits ambushed travellers returning from Maga Market to Kyaram community in Bukkuyyum Local Government Area. At least five people lost their lives during that attack, while several others could not be accounted for.
In another incident reported on January 31, at least four residents of Gwargwaba village in Nahuce District of Bungudu Local Government Area were killed after armed men invaded the area on January 29, 2025. Houses were set ablaze during the assault.
Security alert platform Bakatsine confirmed that four villagers were burned to death inside their homes during the raid.
The repeated attacks have sparked public anger across the state. In July 2025, residents from more than 30 communities in Gusau Local Government Area staged a protest over what they described as constant killings and abductions.
The demonstrators carried placards with messages that read: “We, the people of about 30 communities of Gusau 11, need peace and want to be rescued from bandits,” and “Peace is our concern as we are being killed every day. End banditry in Mada, Lilo, Ruwan Bore, Fegin Baza, Bangi, others.”
Protesters stated that fear of attacks had forced many farmers to abandon their farmlands during the rainy season. They also accused the attackers of looting food supplies and destroying property.
A previous review of the Zamfara State budget document also showed plans to spend N2.5 billion on the purchase of 50 vehicles in 2025. Records indicated that N13.114 billion had already been expended between January and October 2024 for the same purpose.
Security agencies have yet to issue an official statement on the latest attack at the time of this report.