By Sabiu Abdullahi
Suspected Boko Haram/ISWAP insurgents have attacked and destroyed three trucks loaded with fish in Borno State.
Daily Trust reported that the incident occurred at Mile-forty in Magumeri Local Government Area on Thursday afternoon. Sources said the drivers were heading to Maiduguri when the assailants intercepted them at about 1:00pm.
A security source confirmed that the drivers escaped unharmed, but the vehicles were completely burnt.
“Thank God that all the drivers escaped but the three vehicles: two Peugeot J5 and a school bus loaded with fish were burnt down,” the source said.
One of the affected drivers, who asked not to be identified, described the ordeal. He said they abandoned their vehicles and fled into nearby bushes when the attackers struck.
“We parked the vehicles and ran into the bush. Thank God we all made it alive but I watched helplessly as the only means of my livelihood got burnt to ashes. Tell the government to do something on that road.
“Before, they used to abduct people and demand ransom from families, but they frequently intercept vehicles these days to loot and burn them down,” he said.
The driver appealed to the federal government and security agencies to deploy more personnel along the route in order to safeguard travellers and their property.
This latest attack follows a similar pattern of assaults along the Maiduguri–Monguno axis. On February 10, 2026, insurgents reportedly stopped four trailers conveying cattle from Monguno to Maiduguri. They carted away over 100 cows and set the vehicles on fire.
Four days earlier, gunmen blocked four trucks carrying beans to Maiduguri from Monguno at Garin Kashim in Guzamala LGA. The trucks were also burnt.
Several drivers who ply the road blamed the repeated incidents on the absence of adequate security presence.
“It has become a daily occurrence now and no action has been taken. From Maiduguri, one can only find a military checkpoint at Gajaganna, Gajiram, and the new one in Mairari, then Monguno.
“Unless the government takes this seriously, livestock and grain businesses that begin to thrive in those areas would soon collapse. Because, we can no longer risk our lives and vehicles on thatk road,” he said.
The driver further urged authorities to strengthen security on the road. He cited the Gwoza axis, where soldiers have been strategically stationed to prevent attacks.
“Many truck owners have now withdrawn their vehicles from this road. These things kept happening and no action has been taken so far,“ he said.