By Sabiu Abdullahi

The Department of State Services is set to prosecute former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over alleged cybercrime and national security violations.

The trial is scheduled to begin next Wednesday at the Federal High Court in Abuja. The case will be heard by Justice Joyce Abdulmalik. The assignment followed a directive by the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court, Justice John Tsoho. The News Agency of Nigeria confirmed the development.

Court filings indicate that the DSS lodged a three-count charge marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026 against the former governor. The agency accused him of unlawful interception of communications and acts said to threaten national security.

According to the charge sheet submitted on Monday, the DSS alleged that El-Rufai intercepted telephone conversations belonging to Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu.

Prosecutors stated in the first count that the former governor allegedly made an admission during a live appearance on ARISE TV on February 13. They claimed he said that he and unnamed associates intercepted Ribadu’s phone communications. The offence allegedly contravenes Section 12(1) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) Amendment Act, 2024.

The second count alleged that El-Rufai associated with a person who carried out the interception and failed to notify security authorities. Prosecutors said this action is punishable under Section 27(b) of the same Act.

In the third count, the DSS accused El-Rufai and other suspects still at large of deploying technical systems that endangered public safety and national security. The agency alleged that the actions created fear among Nigerians through the interception of classified communications.

The charges come amid ongoing probes by federal anti-corruption and security agencies.

Earlier in the week, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission detained the former governor over separate corruption allegations. He was granted administrative bail around 8:00 p.m. on Wednesday. Shortly after, the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission took him into custody.

ICPC spokesperson, John Odey, confirmed at the time that the former governor remained in the commission’s custody as investigations continued.

Operatives of the ICPC also searched El-Rufai’s residence on Aso Drive in Abuja during a late-night operation. Sources described the action as part of an expanding corruption investigation.

The commission did not release details about the search or items recovered. However, El-Rufai’s lawyer, Ubong Akpan, criticised the operation. He alleged that due process was ignored and his client’s fundamental rights were violated.

ByAdmin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *