By Sabiu Abdullahi
The State Security Service (SSS) on Wednesday night took former Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai, into custody shortly after his release from the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
El-Rufai had been held by the anti-graft agency since Monday over allegations of corruption. He was granted bail around 8 p.m. on Wednesday. Witnesses said armed SSS operatives were already stationed at the EFCC headquarters and moved in immediately after his release.
Security agents then transported him to the SSS headquarters located in the Asokoro District of Abuja. As of the time of filing this report, authorities had not indicated when he might regain freedom.
His latest arrest is tied to allegations that he illegally intercepted the phone communications of the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu.
Earlier on Monday, the SSS filed cybercrime charges against him before the Federal High Court in Abuja. The case, marked FHC/ABJ/CR/99/2026, followed comments he made during a live interview on Arise Television last Friday.
During the programme, El-Rufai alleged that the NSA’s telephone line had been tapped. He claimed he overheard instructions directing security operatives to detain him. He linked those alleged directives to an incident at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, where security personnel attempted to arrest him upon his return from Cairo, Egypt, last Thursday.
Eyewitnesses recalled that the encounter at the airport became heated. Officials briefly seized his international passport and later escorted him out while supporters chanted nearby.
Following the television interview, prosecutors from the SSS filed charges, accusing him of admitting to intercepting the NSA’s communications. The prosecution also alleged that he failed to report others involved in unlawful interceptions. Authorities further claimed his actions endangered public safety and national security through the use of technical systems to monitor the NSA’s phone.
Investigators said the alleged offences contravene provisions of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention, etc.) (Amendment) Act, 2024, as well as the Nigerian Communications Act, 2003. A date for arraignment has not yet been announced, and El-Rufai has not issued a public response to the charges.
Developments Leading To Arrest
Recent events began unfolding after his return to Nigeria from Cairo. Security operatives first attempted to detain him at the Abuja airport shortly after arrival.
Video clips that circulated online showed a confrontation between security officials and members of his entourage. Reports indicated that his passport was confiscated during that episode.
El-Rufai later accused the NSA of ordering the attempted arrest through the SSS. He repeated the allegation during his Arise Television appearance, insisting he had knowledge of the directive through intercepted communication.
His lawyer, Ubong Akpan, criticised the airport incident. He described the attempted arrest as arbitrary and a breach of constitutional rights. The lawyer explained that an EFCC invitation had been delivered to his client’s residence while he was outside the country. He said immediate compliance was not possible under those circumstances.
Akpan added that his client formally notified the EFCC of his readiness to honour the invitation voluntarily upon return, scheduled for 10 a.m. on Monday. He also demanded the return of El-Rufai’s passport. He argued that its seizure violated his client’s dignity, movement rights, and constitutional protections. He warned that legal steps would follow any unlawful detention.